Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A sense of urgency

I seem to have forgotten about my blog :) I'm going to try to post more regularly now, but we'll see how that goes! I want to shift the focus of this blog a little. While pictures of my dinner and walks are most certainly intriguing, I feel lead to write about deeper things right now.

I have finally really connected with a church and am starting to make some friends here in Omaha. With that has come a re-awakening of sorts. I'm sure some of the reason it took me so long to connect with a church is due to complacency, getting comfortable with my routine and being afraid to really step out of my comfort zone. Now that I have, I can't believe it took me so long! Just a few months ago I was asking God to provide some close friendships that would encourage me in my walk with Christ. I deeply missed those relationships from "the good ole days" (am I really old enough to say that??). God's answer was that I needed to be willing to make some changes and take action on my part, and He would meet me there. So I stepped out in faith and started getting involved in church. Over the course of the summer I began meeting people little by little, and then lots by lots (at least in my opinion). I'm now co-leading a bible study and have found the most wonderful weekly prayer group. This prayer group has been an oasis for my soul, to say the least. I can't think of a better way to spend the evening than surrounded by like-minded believers, worshipping and praying to God. I have met several great people through this group, and I'm hoping to continue getting to know them better. Who knows, maybe God does have some close friends for me here after all.

As I mentioned, the more I've become involved at church, the more God has awakened my desire to passionately follow after Him. The sermon at church this past Sunday was so incredibly appropriate for what God has been speaking to me lately. We are beginning a series on Revelation and the end of the world. At the end of his message, Pastor Mark discussed how we can't ever know when Christ will return, but that He does believe it will happen in our lifetime. He then went on to explain that we should all live with the belief that Christ will return at any moment. Living with this belief gives us a sense of urgency to bring others to Christ. I have to say, I never used to be all that focused on Christ returning. I enjoyed life, and wanted to experience more of it before it was over. I definitely prayed the prayer "God, I want you to return, but not before I have a chance to...."


All that changed for me after my dad's diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. Just a few months ago when we found that his cancer had metastasized and he would begin chemo, I remember telling my mom, "God can come back any time now." It's amazing how things can change your perspective. I am so thankful that this world is not my home, and eternal life waits in heaven. Along with a greater longing for Christ's return comes the urgency of "it can't happen until everyone knows!" This is the urgency that God wants us to live each day with, knowing that the day to day things aren't nearly as important as reaching each person with the love of Christ. I have begun to realize this more and more each day. My prayer is that God would increase my sense of urgency and help me to live my life with an eternal perspective.

Stay tuned for more thoughts as I embark on reading a book from my dad "Let God be God: Life-changing truths from the book of Job."

1 comment:

  1. Yay you are back! I still check this about every week :) So happy to hear about your new adventures, we need to catch up soon so you can tell me all about it!

    ReplyDelete